Blogs and Websites
Below are some excellent websites and blogs. I am sure there are many more blogs and websites with great information, however, either I am not aware of them or do not access them often; so if you are not listed below, do not send me a hate email.
Tax Tips.ca - This is probably the best tax resource in Canada. This is not a blog in the typical sense, but more of a resource centre.
Moodys Gartner Tax Law - This is one of my favourite tax blogs. Some topics may be a bit technical, but very well written and great info for any tax junkie.
Canadian Tax Resource - Written by Dean Paley, CGA, CFP, who now posts on his own site. The Canadian Tax Resource blog is really a historical resource at this point, as Dean does not blog here anymore. However, the older posts often show up when I search a tax topic.
John Loukidelis Professional Corporation – Written by tax lawyer John Loukidelis, who wrote a long-running blog at his prior law firm. His blogs tend to be a bit technical, but he has some great information for those who are willing to read technical material.
Tax Enforcement Agencies
Canada Revenue Agency - I must say, the CRA does a very good job with their site. There is lots of information and it is usually fairly easy to read. Although, keep in mind; these are the CRA views, which are not necessarily always the view of the courts.
Internal Revenue Service - This site is more technical and not as user friendly as the CRA’s site; but if you have U.S. tax issues, it is a very good resource.
Estate Law Canada - The person behind this blog is Lynne Butler an estates lawyer. Very readable and informative.
Toronto Estate Law Blog - Written by the estate lawyers at Hull and Hull LLP.
E$tate Debate - Written by various experts in the estate and trust fields.
Tax treaties - A useful site if you want to know the withholding tax rate of foreign sources of income.
Large Accounting and Law Firm Websites
The following are links to the tax publications by some of the "big boys' of the accounting and legal world.
1. @moodysgartner - Moodys Gartner Canadian and US tax lawyers and Chartered Accountants discuss tax strategies and tax issues.
2. @JamieGolombek – Managing Director, Tax and Estate Planning at CIBC Private Wealth Management and well known tax columnist for the National Post writes about all things tax & estate.
3. @Xyste – Tax lawyer Greg Ducharme
4. @taxtips.ca - Canadian tax, financial and investing info, tax and other calculators, tables of tax rates/tax credits.
5. @IRSnews -IRS news and guidance for the public, the press and practitioners.
6. @CanRevAgency - Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) administers tax and benefits programs, and ensures compliance with Canada’s tax laws
7. @WayneBewick -U.S. Certified Public Accountant and Chartered Accountant specialising in U.S. and Canadian tax services.
8. @DeanPaleyCGACFP - Accountant & Financial Planner.
The two best known tax columnists are Jamie Golombek with the National Post and Tim Cestnik with the Globe and Mail.
Winners of the 4 CD Audio Set of Tom Deans Every Family's Business
The winners of the giveaway are Stephen L. and Michael G. You will be contacted to obtain your mailing information. Thanks to all who entered.
The blogs posted on The Blunt Bean Counter provide information of a general nature. These posts should not be considered specific advice; as each reader's personal financial situation is unique and fact specific. Please contact a professional advisor prior to implementing or acting upon any of the information contained in one of the blogs.